PureBS Summary: If you don’t know what to say, talk about the 4th of July!
Every year the fourth of July is a very big deal for the USA. If you thought it was just a movie starring Will Smith you may have missed something. It is known as Independence Day and has been celebrated since 1776! Check this out, 3 minutes of your life and you have a great story to share at the water cooler!!
Here’s what is happening: The United States is celebrating “breaking free” from Great Britain. It is a day where more flags and patriotism are on display than normal today so here are 10 fun facts about this country.
- The Statue of Liberty though associated with New York City is actually in New Jersey. The seven rays on the crown of the Statue of Liberty represent the seven continents; each measures up to 9 feet in length and weighs as much as 150 pounds.
- The tallest mountain in the world Mauna Kea is in the USA. (just most of it is under water)
- Americans eat about 100 acres of pizza a day.
- Chicago had the first ever ferris wheel.
- Harvard was the first University in the USA.
- In more than half of the states the highest paid employee is the state football coach.
- Roughly 30% of all Americans are considered obese.
- Montana has 3x as many cows as it does people.
- An American George Crum invented potato chips.
- Thomas Jefferson invented the swivel chair! (he may have invented something else, but the chair idea really changed the world!)
Pick a side!
- Americans are basically a bunch of gun totting, flag waving cowboys who do what they want when they want. They like to drive fast and build big. They do what they want, when they want. John Wayne was the most representative of all Americans. That’s PureBS!!
- The USA is truly the worlds greatest influence. Movies (Spielberg, Lucas, Scott) are seen world wide. Music (Eagles, Nirvana, The Doors) are listened to everywhere. Fashion and the Kardashians impact everyone no matter where they live. The United States is the country with the biggest single influence now and in the past. get out and enjoy the fireworks. Those Americans can definitely put on a show!!
I’ve got you started here:
- What has been your favourite party you have ever been to?
A quick visual of why this day matters.